At Cyber Sushi Design, we often find ourselves tasked with redesigning sites, not only because the look and feel needs to be refreshed but because the previous web designer hasn’t considered how the site will perform when search engines look to index the site. In this day in age it’s vital that your web designer has SEO capabilities within their team.
Search engine optimisation (SEO) is the method of ensuring visibility of your website in search engine results. In general it’s most likely that your target audience will visit sites that are ranked higher, rather than trawling pages and pages of results to find you way down there on page 26.
As an approach to the marketing of your site, SEO takes into account several factors:
- How search engines work;
- What is being searched for by internet users;
- Keywords and phrases used in search engine searches;
Considering these factors, your web designer should be helping you to optimise your website by encouraging you to enhance your content and ensuring their coding improves the significance, using relevant keywords and phrases and removing restrictions that will limit your site being indexed by search engines.
Tips to Consider for SEO Success:
- Quality, engaging well written content
- Research keywords your target audience will use to search for you
- Include keywords and phrases in your text that you expect pages to be found for
- Original content about in-trend topics
- HTML title tags should include titles related to page content
- Meta description tags should include details of page content
- Header tags should include keywords
- Over-using keywords and phrases can count against you
- Ensure content is well structured, allowing search engines to “crawl” your site for indexing
- Pages need to load quickly
- Consider how your site displays for users on mobile devices
- Avoid duplicate content, which you will be penalised for
- Only link to trusted sites with quality content
- Avoid creating links by spamming blogs
- Ensure links directed to your site include your keywords and phrases
- Paying for increased links to your site does not always pay off
- Domains that have been around for longer rank better
- Sites that continuously function in the same way will have authority when being indexed
- Ensure links, likes and shares are from trusted third parties
- Avoid hosting pirated or duplicate content
- Get your site shared by those respected on social networks
- Increase the content you share across social media sites
- Ensure quality content is shared across social networking sites
- Build quality contacts on social networking sites
Search engine optimisation is a never-ending story. It’s vital that if you want to be ranked high you work continuously to build and maintain your rankings. It’s not impossible to do this yourself but it is a very involved process that at the very least needs weekly attention.